- By Native News Online Staff
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — The Navajo Nation joined a federal lawsuit on Tuesday against the U.S. Census Bureau and the Department of Commerce.
The lawsuit claims the agencies adopted an illegally expedited plan — known as the “Rush Plan” — that shortened the time allowed for people to complete the 2020 Census by imposing a new deadline of Sept. 30, 2020.
The shortened time frame will likely cause an undercount of Navajo citizens in the 2020 Census. That poses a threat to federal funds going into the Navajo Nation for the next decade because those funds are predicated on census numbers.
The lawsuit, which was filed on behalf of several city and county governments in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, contends the federal government illegally curtailed time to complete the 2020 Census. Doing so, the lawsuit claims, threatens to cause a significant undercount of “hard-to-count” populations that include American Indians and Alaska Natives. The Gila River Indian Community also joined in the lawsuit against the Census and Commerce Dept.
The lawsuit was first filed on Aug. 18, shortly after the Trump administration suddenly and without explanation announced the “Rush Plan” on Aug. 3. The Rush Plan threatens to undercount “hard-to-count” populations, which are primarily minority communities including members of tribal nations.
“The Navajo Nation has worked proactively with the Census Bureau since last year to ensure that the Navajo Nation has a high response rate for the 2020 Census,” Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the federal government has undermined the time, planning, and resources that the Navajo Nation had dedicated to the Census count by shortening the time period by an entire month and now we are seeking a resolution through the courts.
“Many of our existing programs rely on federal funding, which is based on census data. Once again, the first people of this country are having to fight for what is right and just.”
The federal government’s implementation of the “Rush Plan” is especially detrimental in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, Nez said. The pandemic disrupted census operations across the United States.
The federal government originally responded to the disruption of the pandemic by creating a new census plan that pushed back census phase deadlines to provide more time to complete the census. This plan extended the time for data-collection to Oct. 31, 2020. However, on Aug. 3, 2020, the federal government reversed course with implementation of the “Rush Plan.”
The “Rush Plan” shortens the time for the non-response follow up phase, which involves census enumerators going door-to-door at residences that have not responded in previous phases. This phase is especially critical on the Navajo Nation. As of Wednesday, the Navajo Nation’s response rate for the 2020 Census was only 18.2 percent.
Nez and Vice President Myron Lizer recently signed a proclamation recognizing the month of September 2020 as “Navajo Nation Census Month,” to encourage the Navajo people to participate in the 2020 Census to ensure a complete count of all citizens on the Navajo Nation.
CLICK to self-respond to the 2020 Census or call 844-330-2020.
More Stories Like ThisWhen it comes to Indian Boarding School Graves, Tribal Spiritual Law is Shunned as Repatriations Continue to Fail Some Tribes
Senate Committee Hears Indigenous Testimony on Federal Indian Boarding School Report and Legislation
Ponca Tribe Gets its Tomahawk Back
Two Catawba Nation Matriarchs will bring an Ancestor Home from Carlisle Next Week
Hawai’i Housing Group Sues Bank of America Over Broken $150 Million Commitment
Do you appreciate a Native perspective on the news?
For the past decade-plus, we’ve covered the important Indigenous stories that are often overlooked by other media. From the protests at Standing Rock and the toppling of colonizer statues during the racial equity protests, to the ongoing epidemic of Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women (MMIW) and the past-due reckoning related to assimilation, cultural genocide and Indian Boarding Schools, we have been there to provide a Native perspective and elevate Native voices.
Our news is free for everyone to read, but it is not free to produce. That’s why we’re asking you to make a donation this month to help support our efforts. Any contribution — big or small — helps us remain a force for change in Indian Country and continue telling the stories that are so often ignored, erased or overlooked. Most often, our donors make a one-time gift of $20 or more, while many choose to make a recurring monthly donation of $5 or $10. Whatever you can do, it helps fund our Indigenous-led newsroom and our ability to cover Native news.
Donate to Native News Online today and support independent Indigenous journalism. Thank you.