- By Levi Rickert
By Darren Thompson, Special to Native News Online
PHOENIX, Ariz. — Overnight, the Navajo Nation had its first reported death from the COVID-19 virus, Native News Online has learned.
The tribal citizen who passed away was also the first person on Navajo Nation who had tested positive for COVID-19, commonly referred to as the novel coronavirus. A family member of the deceased confirmed his death to Native News Online on Friday afternoon.
The individual, who passed away in Phoenix earlier today, was a 46-year-old tribal citizen from the community of Chilchinbeto, Ariz. As reported earlier this week, the individual had recently traveled outside the Navajo Nation. The individual first reported having coronavirus symptoms to the Kayenta Health Center in Kayenta, Ariz. and was then transferred to a hospital in Phoenix. The Arizona Department of Health later confirmed the positive test result. Members of the individual’s family were also screened and isolated.
There are seven others in the deceased individual’s family who have tested positive for COVID-19.
As of yesterday, the Navajo Health Command Operations Center of Chilchinbeto issued a shelter-in-place order, requiring residents to remain in their home due to the spread of the virus. The family member who spoke to Native News Online said that the entire family is deeply concerned because traditional ceremonial burial practices require people to gather. The family member said they will not be attending the burial services because they are quarantined as well.
More Stories Like ThisWATCH: Native Bidaské with Domestic Violence Prevention Specialist Kayla Woody Discuss the Dangers of Stalking
Native News Weekly (January 29, 2023): D.C. Briefs
7-Year-Old Boy Dies from Dog Attack on Fort Hall Reservation
Navajo Nation Elects Its First Female Speaker
WATCH: Indigenous Chef Crystal Wahpepah on Native Bidaske
12 years of Native News
This month, we celebrate our 12th year of delivering Native News to readers throughout Indian Country and beyond. For the past dozen years, we’ve covered the most important news stories that are usually overlooked by other media. From the protests at Standing Rock and the rise of the American Indian Movement (AIM), to the ongoing epidemic of Murdered and Missing Indigenous People (MMIP) and the past-due reckoning related to assimilation, cultural genocide and Indian Boarding Schools.
Our news is free for everyone to read, but it is not free to produce. That’s why we’re asking you to make a donation this month to help support our efforts. Any contribution — big or small — helps. If you’re in a position to do so, we ask you to consider making a recurring donation of $12 per month to help us remain a force for change in Indian Country and to tell the stories that are so often ignored, erased or overlooked.
Donate to Native News Online today and support independent Indigenous journalism. Thank you.