Published April 11, 2018
WASHINGTON – As part of the Generation Indigenous (Gen-I) initiative, the Center for Native American Youth is launching a new fellowship for Native youth ages 18-24. The Gen-I Movement Builders Fellowship (Gen-I MBF) is a six-month intensive leadership development program that aims to strengthen the voice and role of Native American youth in broader social justice movements.
Over the course of six months, five Fellows will gather for two in-person convenings, two virtual convenings, and one Fresh Tracks training expedition. At the end of six months, Fellows will have a small “Innovation Fund” which they will jointly use on a project aimed at strengthening the voice of Native youth in social justice movements. The Fellowship will begin in June and end in December. Click here for more information.
All application materials are due at 11:59 PM Pacific Time on Monday, April 30, 2018. CNAY will notify all applicants of their final application status by the second week of May 2018.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
Applicants for the Gen-I Movement Builders Fellowship are required to meet all the following criteria. Applicants must:
- Self-identify as Indigenous;
- Be between 18 and 24 years old by May 1, 2018;
- Currently reside within the United States;
- Have demonstrated civic engagement and advocacy for their community and/or Indian Country;
- Be strong, talented leaders, but not necessarily well connected outside their community;
- Be interested in advancing their advocacy and activism to broader social justice movements; and
- Be able to participate in the full programming over six (6) months. The Fellowship is not a full-time commitment, but active and engaged participation during in-person and virtual convenings is required. Click here to see a general program timeline.
HOW TO APPLY:
A complete application includes all of the following materials, which must be submitted online to CNAY by 11:59 Pacific Time on Monday, April 30, 2018.
- Gen-I Movement Builders Fellowship Application. Requires brief written responses to multiple prompts, a resume or CV, and optional supplemental photos and videos.
- Adult Recommendation Form (submitted online by an adult recommender). This form should be submitted by a mentor, teacher, or employer over the age of 25 who can comment on the applicant’s leadership qualities, commitment to community, and motivation for participating in the Fellowship. Please check with the applicant you are recommending to ensure that you are completing the correct form.
- Peer Recommendation Form (submitted online by a peer recommender). This form should be submitted by a person 24 years old or younger who can comment on the applicant’s leadership qualities, commitment to community, and motivation for participating in the Fellowship. Please check with the applicant you are recommending to ensure that you are completing the correct form.
For more information about the Gen-I Movement Builders Fellowship, click here. For questions, contact Bettina Gonzalez at (202) 736-3554 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK TO APPLY