Published October 10, 2019
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. — Rodeo’s biggest stars from Arizona and New Mexico, took center stage at the RAM Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo (TCFR) on October 4 – 5.
Joseph McConnel of Bloomfield, NM, was the only bull rider to make three qualified rides. Claiming his title as “RAM Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo Bull Riding Champion,” and the victory was a way of honoring a friend.
“While I was driving to the Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo, from a friend’s funeral, I wanted to do something to honor my friend. I set a goal to ride all three bulls in my friends memory. I went in on top, and I won all three rounds. It was pretty special for me for a few reason’s” said McConnel.
McConnel rode for a total 246 points on three head, with a high score of 86.5 points on Salt River Rodeo’s “Soul Seeker,” during the first performance. “That ride set the pace for the weekend, I needed something to get the momentum going, “Soul Seeker” bucked and helped me get my first-round win,” McConnel stated.
Saddle Bronc rider, Leon Fountain of Socorro, NM, changed the leader board after the 2nd performance with 76.5 points on Salt River Rodeo’s “Soda Pop.” “My horse was excellent. He gets a lot of guys on the ground, and luckily I was able to stay on him. He bucked, and I was able to stay in the middle of him, I was a little rusty, but I shook it off and got the win. It changed my weekend,” said Fountain. During the third and final round, Fountain came in with an 81 point ride on Salt River Rodeo’s “Taos’ Time Bomb” to win the RAM Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo.
2019 RAM Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo Champions
- All Around – Seth Hall, Las Lunas, NM
- Bareback Riding – Evan Betony, Tonalea, AZ
- Steer Wrestling- Trey Nahrgang, Buckeye, AZ
- Team Roping – Trey Blackmore/Seth Hall, Hillside, AZ / Las Lunas, NM
- Saddle Bronc Riding – Leon Fountain, Socorro, NM
- Tie-Down Roping – Shad Mayfield, Clovis, NM
- Girls Barrel Racing – Tarryn Lee, St. David, AZ
- Bull Riding – Joseph McConnel, Las Cruces, NM
- Steer Roping – Corey Ross, Liberty Hill, TX
The top two champions in each event will represent the Turquoise Circuit in Kissimmee, Florida, for the RAM National Circuit Finals Rodeo
. Learn more about the RAM NCFR and how these champion contestants get to advance, by clicking here
. Slated to join the above champions at the RAM NCFR will be Earl N Tsosie Jr. (Bareback Riding), Taos Muncy (Saddle Bronc), Lon Danley (Bull Riding), Seth Hall (Tie-Down Roping), Trevor Duhon (Steer Wrestling), Erich Rogers (Team Roping Header), Lane Siggins (Team Roping Heeler), Sarah Kieckhefer (Barrel Racing) and Garrett Hale (Steer Roping-Clem McSpadden National Finals Steer Roping/Kansas Star Arena).
The event also honors the animal athletes, winning stock awards this year are as follows:
2019 Turquoise Circuit Stock of the Year
- Bareback – 6H13 Lady Assassin – Salt River Rodeo Co.
- Saddle Bronc – 9466 Whiskey River – Salt River Rodeo Co.
- Bull – 120 Rock Road – Salt River Rodeo Co.
2019 Turquoise Circuit Timed Event Stock of the Year
- Steer Wrestling – Heza Planet – aka FRANK (owned by Wyatt Jurney. Ridden by Wyatt Jurney, Tyke Kipp, Grady Gray & Monty Eakin)
- Team Roping (Header) – Lazy TB Thirty (owned by trey Blackmore. Ridden by Trey Blackmore, Josh Siggins, Brock Hanson, and Cody Cabral)
- Team Roping (Heeler) – Lenas on a Roll – aka LITTLE BOY (Owned and ridden by TJ Brown)
- Tie-Down – GSR Star on Tap – aka SHARKY (Owned and ridden by Kyle Dutton)
The 2019 RAM Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo boasted record-breaking attendance at the Findlay Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, AZ, with a 20% fan attendance increase. “We were excited to see the increase in attendance at the event this year. Our rodeo showcases the best cowboys, cowgirls, and animal athletes in the Southwest. It means a lot to us when the community supports them,” said Jim Dewey Brown, President of Turquoise Circuit Finals Rodeo. The Turquoise Circuit Rodeo season kicked off last month. You can learn more about the circuit and see a rodeo schedule online at www.turquoisecircuitfinalsrodeo.com.