WASHINGTON — The Center for Native American Youth is reaching out on behalf of National League of Cities to invite tribal leaders to participate in a conference call on Tuesday, May 20 at 2:00 p.m. – EDT regarding the “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative announced by President Obama in February.
“My Brother’s Keeper” is aimed at improving life outcomes for boys and men of color, including Native American boys and men. Eleven foundations, including Native Americans in Philanthropy, partnered with the Administration on this effort and have been working to create opportunities for a range of sectors to share feedback on policy and program changes.
The President set a goal of having his administration and the philanthropic and private sector communities return within 90 days with an initial report and recommendations to improve outcomes for boys and young men of color. As part of those efforts, several calls are being held in the coming days with state, local and tribal leaders to get feedback and ideas. Ideas may include commitments that you may have already made or are prepared to make to improve life outcomes for Native boys and young men.
Tribal leaders are invited to participate in a conference call on Tuesday, May 20 at 2pm EST. The May 20 call, co-hosted by the Center for Native American Youth, Casey Family Programs, Native Americans in Philanthropy, and the National League of Cities, will be for tribal leaders only. The conference call will give tribal leaders an opportunity to hear from officials in the White House and the philanthropic community involved in the “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative. It will also provide an opportunity for discussion on the following questions:
- What are tribes or tribal organizations doing or looking to do locally to improve outcomes for Native boys and young men?
- What are lessons learned from past and existing efforts to improve outcomes for Native boys and young?
- What are some quick wins that can be achieved as part of the “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative?
- What are specific opportunities for the Obama administration and the philanthropic sector to partner with you to advance outcomes for Native boys and young men?
- As we look to measure impact, what specific goals and targets should be set?
To register for this conference call please use the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/75WVQK8. The call in information for the conference call line is (888) 608-3665, with a type in code of 8962050477.
Your feedback will be compiled and integrated into the planning process. If you have any questions or a desire to learn more about the initiative, please reach out to Whitney White Som-Pimpong at firstname.lastname@example.org.