Stockbridge-Munsee Tribe Receives $456,000 in FEMA Funds for Community Safe Room & Emergency Generators

Published June 29, 2017

BOWLER, WISCONSIN – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $456,307 in Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM) funds to the Stockbridge-Munsee Community, located in Bowler, Wisconsin, for the construction of a community safe room and the purchase of seven emergency generators.

“Our tribal government’s number one priority is the safety and security of our nearly 1,500 tribal members, especially the 500 tribal members who live on our Bowler reservation,” says Stockbridge-Munsee tribal council president, Shannon Holsey. “The community safe room and emergency generators will be invaluable to our community, our popular North Star Mohican Casino Resort, and the surrounding area in case of severe weather or other disasters in Shawano County.”

FEMA’s PDM program provides grants to state, local and tribal governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through PDM, FEMA will pay 90 percent of the $507,008 eligible project cost.  The remaining 10 percent of the funds, $50,701, will be provided by the Stockbridge-Munsee Community.

“The Pre-Disaster Mitigation program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Janet M. Odeshoo, acting regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The construction of this community safe room will protect the lives of vulnerable citizens by providing a secure location to seek shelter from tornadoes and other high-wind events. The seven generators will be permanently installed at

critical facilities throughout the tribal reservation, ensuring that essential operations can continue during power outages.”

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that the nation works together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By :