WASHINGTON – On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, at 2:30 p.m. – EDT, Senator Jon Tester (D-Montana will preside over a U.S. Senate Committee on Indian Affairs legislative hearing on five bills:
- S. 1474, the Alaska Safe Families and Villages Act of 2013;
- S. 1570, the Indian Health Service Advance Appropriations Act of 2013;
- S. 1574, the Indian Employment, Training and Related Services Consolidation Act of
- S. 1622, the Alyce Spotted Bear and Walter Soboleff Commission on Native Children
- Act; and
- S. 2160, the Native American Children’s Safety Act.
Prior to the legislative hearing, the Committee will hold a business meeting to consider the following legislation:
- S. 161, to extend the Federal recognition to the Little Shell Tribe of Chippewa Indians of Montana, and for other purposes
- S. 1074, to extend Federal recognition to the Chickahominy Indian Tribe, the Chickahominy Indian Tribe-Eastern Division, the Upper Mattaponi Tribe, the Rappahannock Tribe, Inc., the Monacan Indian Nation, and the Nansemond Indian Tribe; and
- S. 1219, to authorize the Pechanga Band of Luiseno Mission Indians Water Rights Settlement, and for other purposes
The business meeting is not webcast.
A Committee business meeting and legislative hearing
2:30 p.m., Wednesday, April 2, 2014
628 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Live video and witness testimony will be provided at indian.senate.gov.
THE HONORABLE BYRON L. DORGAN, United States Senator (Ret.), and Founder and Chairman, Center for Native American Youth at the Aspen Institute, Washington, DC
THE HONORABLE KEVIN WASHBURN, Assistant Secretary – Indian Affairs, U.S.Department of the Interior, Washington, DC
THE HONORABLE LILLIAN SPARKS, Commissioner, Administration of Native Americans, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC
MS. NATASHA SINGH, Tribal Judge, Stevens Village, Stevens Village, Alaska
MS. MARGARET ZIENTEK, Co-Chairperson, P.L. 102-477 Tribal Workgroup, Shawnee, Oklahoma
THE HONORABLE LEANDER R. MCDONALD, Chairman, Spirit Lake Dakota Nation, Fort Totten, North Dakota