Senate Committee on Indian Affairs to Hold Hearing on Indian Education

Approximately 93% of Native students attend public schools 

Capitol BuildingWASHINGTON – The United States Committee on Indian Affairs will hold an oversight hearing on Wednesday, April 9 at 2:30 p.m. – EDT on Indian education called “Indian Students in Public Schools – Cultivating the Next Generation.”

Some 93 percent of all American Indian/Alaska Native students attend public schools. The remaining 7 percent attend schools administered by the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE). While the BIE provides direct educational services to Indian students, the U.S. Department of Education provides education assistance to public schools attended by Native students.

The purpose of the Committee’s hearing is to examine the public education programs at the Department of Education that serve Indian students to determine how they are functioning and what improvements can be made to strengthen Indian education.

William Mendoza

William Mendoza

The Committee will receive testimony from several witnesses working in the public education of Indian children across the United States, including William Mendoza (Lakota), executive director, White House Initiative on American Indian and Alaska Native Education, U.S. Department of Education.

DETAILS

WHAT:  Oversight Hearing on Indian Students in Public Schools – Cultivating the Next Generation

WHEN: 2:30 PM, Wednesday, April 9 2014

WHERE: 628 Dirksen Senate Office Building

Live video and witness testimony will be provided at indian.senate.gov.

WITNESS LIST

Panel I

MR. WILLIAM MENDOZA, Executive Director, White House Initiative on American Indian and Alaska Native Education, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC

Panel II

MS. MANDY SMOKER BROADDUS, Director of Indian Education, Montana Office of Public Instruction, Helena, Montana

MR. DANIEL HUDSON, Chairman, Wyoming State Impact Aid, Lander, Wyoming  and Secretary, National Indian Impacted School Association, Lander, Wyoming

DR. ALBERTO SIQUEIROS, Superintendent, Baboquivari Unified School District No. 40, Sells, Arizona 

MR. BRENT GISH, Executive Director, National Indian Impacted Schools Association, Naytahwaush, Minnesota

 

 

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
2 Comments
  1. Adelina Defender 4 years ago
  2. Lee Knutsen 4 years ago