Red Fawn Fallis Released to a Half-way House

Free Red Fawn banner at Standing Rock encampment last December. Native News Online photo by Levi Rickert

Breaking News

Published October 27, 2017

JAMESTOWN, NORTH DAKOTA – One year to the date of her arrest at Standing Rock, Red Fawn Fallis was transferred to a half-way house at a undisclosed location in North Dakota.

On October 27, 2016, Red Fawn Fallis was one of more than 140 people arrested in a violent clash with law enforcement led by the Morton County Sheriff’s Department protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline near the Standing Rock Sioux Indian Reservation.

Red Fawn Fallis

Of those arrested that day, Fallis faced the most serious charge–attempted murder. The attempted murder charge was dropped, but she has been held since her arrest pending a trial on a charge of possessing a firearm.

Witnesses deny she had a weapon.

Her legal team released the following statement Friday evening:

On October 27, 2017 – the anniversary date of her arrest – Red Fawn Fallis was released from the Stutsman County Jail to a half-way house in North Dakota.

Red Fawn, a Lakota water protector originally from the Pine Ridge Reservation, is scheduled to stand trial in federal district court on January 29, 2018 on multiple charges stemming from her participation in the protests surrounding construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. The path of the pipeline lay in close proximity to the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation and its water source and traversed lands of historic and cultural significance to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

Red Fawn has plead Not Guilty to all charges. Her trial was recently moved from Bismarck to Fargo, North Dakota due to the publicity that has surrounded both the opposition to the construction of the pipeline and to Red Fawn’s arrest.

Red Fawn is well-known and respected for her role as a medic and community leader at the Oceti Sakowin camp during fall 2016.

“While she was moved to a half-way house is great, people have to know she still faces a serious charge and people need to keep her in their prayers,” her sister, Red Dawn Foster, told Native News Online on Friday evening.

Red Dawn Foster with Native youth at Standing Rock last December. Native News Online photo by Levi Rickert


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
  1. Clarence White 2 years ago
  2. izopnyde 2 years ago
    • Rebecca keller 2 years ago
  3. Sheilagh 2 years ago
  4. Meh 2 years ago
  5. Harry Copper Jr 2 years ago
  6. Rebecca keller 2 years ago
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By :