Published June 30, 2016
ALBUQUERQUE – The Indigenous International Repatriation Conference, Shifting the Burden, will be held September 26-27, 2016, at the Isleta Resort & Casino in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Many Indigenous Peoples from around the world will gather to discuss returning Ancestors and cultural items to their rightful places. Register today for the Indigenous International Repatriation Conference, save $50 and consider extending your stay to enjoy the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, October 1-9, 2016!
CONFIRMED KEYNOTE SPEARKER: Rebecca Tsosie, University of Arizona Regents’ Professor of Law and internationally recognized as one of the most respected legal scholars in the field of federal Indian law and indigenous peoples’ human rights will be Conference Keynote Speaker!
From championing crucial federal legislation to supporting grass roots initiatives, the Association on American Indian Affairs (AAIA) has been advocating for Native peoples for almost a century. We are committed to protecting tribal sovereignty, preserving culture, and educating youth through 4 different program areas: juvenile justice, Indian child welfare, scholarships and summer camps, and international repatriation.
Conference topics include, but are not limited to:
- Private Auction Houses & Repatriation
- International Museums: Consultation and Policies in Repatriation
- Intersects of Looting and the Private Art Market
- Comparative Perspectives in Cultural Resources Protection
- Intertribal Investigative Units
- Strengthening Tribal and U.S. Laws and Proposed Legislation
- Human Rights, Indigenous Peoples, and Repatriation
- Repatriation and Community Healing
- International Trafficking
Who should attend?
- Tribal Historic Preservation Officers and Cultural Resources personnel
- Tribal leaders and those who work in and for tribal governments and organizations
- Tribal elders and traditionalists
- Government agencies working with Native American tribes
- Professionals working in Native American and International Arts and Aintiquities
- Anyone interested in preserving cultural heritage
Save $50 by registering before July 15!
Indigenous International Repatriation Conference