Precautions should be taken when around urine and feces left behind rodents.
Published June 15, 2016
GALLUP – A 25 year-old man from McKinley County has become the latest victim of the Hantavirus, officials for the New Mexico Department of Health announced Tuesday.
He is the fifth victim of the Hantavirus this year.
Health officials did not say if the victim lived on or off the Navajo Reservation.
The springtime and early summer are the prime months for catching the disease as people clean out their storage sheds and breath in fumes from urine and feces left there by rodents who have the disease.
Health officials strongly recommend that people who clean out their sheds wear medical masks to protect themselves from the possibility of breathing in fumes.
The deer mouse is the primary rodent that carries the disease, according to state health officials.
Health officials said they plan to do an environmental investigation at the victim’s home to determine if their were risks for other members of his family.