Emergency Curfew Remains in Effect on Crow Indian Reservation

Graffiti on the Crow Nation reads, “Stop Meth.”

Published August 7, 2017

CROW INDIAN RESERVATION – The emergency curfew issued for the Crow Indian Reservation will be in effect Monday night for the fourth night in a row. Late Friday afternoon, the curfew was put in place effective 9:00 p.m. until 5:00 a.m (local time) nightly. The emergency curfew will remain in effect until further notice for the entire Crow Indian Reservation.

The statement issuing the emergency curfew was released by Crow Nation Tribal Chairam Alvin “A.J.” Not Afraid, Jr. at the request of law enforcement. The curfew was issued after five people were shot in a meth-related incident in Lodge Grass, Montana, a village of 400 people on the Crow Indian Reservation. Three of the individuals died as the result of Friday’s shooting.

On Saturday evening, Crow Nation Tribal Chairman Not Afraid told reporters the tragic incident was related to methamphetamine usage on the Crow Indian Reservation.

As of late Monday afternoon, no one has been arrested in the connection to the shootings.

Scene of deadly shooting

The emergency curfew reads in part: “all vehicles traveling on roadways within the “exterior boundaries” of the Crow Reservation after 9 p.m. are subject to being stopped and all occupants being ordered to present valid identification upon law enforcement request.”

On Monday afternoon, the FBI issued the following statement:

At approximately 4:00 P.M., Nehemiah Broken Rope, age 30; Frank Nomee Jr, age 27; and Denise Stewart, age 26, went to 203 North Helen Street, Lodge Grass, Montana.  Broken Rope and Nomee were residents of Lodge Grass and Stewart was a resident of Crow Agency.  All three were enrolled members of the Crow Tribe.

They entered the house where an altercation took place which resulted in an exchange of gun fire.  Broken Rope and Nomee were taken to the Indian Health Services Hospital at Crow Agency and died from their wounds.  Stewart was taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital and died as a result of her wounds. 

Two persons from the house were injured and one remains hospitalized.  

Several witnesses have been interviewed and have provided statements to investigators. 

No suspects have been identified but the investigation is ongoing.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email
One Response
  1. Cherie Fry 2 years ago
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com